Markzware is the inventor of FlightCheck, the patented preflight software to check files to ensure printing quality by preflighting digital files for print. FlightCheck can scan many file types to warn of potential printing problems, so they can be fixed before printing. Markzware shares this digital file preparation guide with tips for preflighting digital files during prepress:
Digital File Preparation Guide
By Derald Schultz, founder and director of Mediarail Design, Inc.
The following guide will help in preparing your digital files. It contains additional information and explanations of common terms to help you have better communication with print providers.
- Use Page Layout Programs such as InDesign or Quark.
- Create your document in the exact size of the final trimmed piece. For example, if you are creating a letter size multiple-page document with facing pages, your page size would be 8.5×11, not 11×17.
- Use the master page to place common items such as page numbers in the same location on multiple pages.
- Create multiple-page documents in reader’s spreads.
- Extend images that bleed off the document page by an 1/8” (standard).
- Delete unused colors in the color palette from EPS and page layout files.
- Images that cross-over facing pages should be divided into two separate picture boxes and aligned on their respective pages.
- Scale bitmap images no more than 10% up or down from their original size. A drastic enlargement will cause loss of detail and a drastic reduction may extend imaging time and delay your job.
- Link images in your Illustrator and FreeHand files. Do not embed them.
Tip: Remember to include any special Quark Xtensions you may have used to create your document. Creating files in drawing programs such as Illustrator, FreeHand or Corel Draw can sometimes incur additional charges by printers…
mediarail design | articles + digital file preparation guide
Preflighting digital files is easy and reassuring with FlightCheck, the preflight software by Markzware for quality print output, whether you’re preflighting digital files created in Adobe InDesign, Acrobat PDF, Quark, Illustrator, or many other file formats. Try the tips in the above digital file preparation guide and try the free FlightCheck demo today to see how FlightCheck can help you with preflighting digital files.
Preflighting Digital Files with FlightCheck
Markzware FlightCheck can ensure printing quality by preflighting digital files to avoid printing problems
Preflighting Digital Files: Digital File Preparation Guide and FlightCheck