Want to be able to preview and print previews of your Adobe InDesign (INDD) file? A Mac application from Markzware can help you to view and print InDesign previews… and the app is free!
Markzware has years of experience with InDesign files and provides you the ability to see full previews of your InDesign files on the Macintosh operating system. Markzware’s ID Util is a stand-alone application that gives you the ability to preview InDesign file pages, as well as InCopy and IDML file pages, on Mac. This app also allows you to print those InDesign previews.
If you have the Adobe InDesign application on your computer, you can create high-resolution previews of your INDD documents, by using ID Util. Learn more, in this demonstration video:
Print InDesign File Previews: Preview InDesign CS5-CS6, CC-CC 2015, more
You can print previews of your InDesign files on a printer, via Markzware’s ID Util for macOS application. This app is an easy tool that you can use to see InDesign file previews, create high-resolution previews, and print them!
How to Preview InDesign CS5-CS6 and InDesign CC-CC 2015 via ID Util for macOS:
ID Util allows you to print hard copies of your page previews.
• To print, simply click on the Print button in the top left of the ID Util window. (Or you can use Command-P to bring up a print dialog.)
• In the Print view, you can select your printer, the print presets, number of copies, which pages to print, option to save as a PDF, show details, cancel printing, and, of course, print.
• The keyboard shortcut for print previews with ID Util is Command+P. (If you want to open the file for viewing, you can use Command+O.)
ID Util’s Welcome Window
• You can drop an InDesign file’s icon onto the “Drag and drop files to here” section in the top third of ID Util’s Welcome window. After you drop the file onto ID Util, a preview is created.
• You can select files to preview, by clicking the “Open Files” button in the center of ID Util’s Welcome window.
ID Util’s Preview Window
• You can see the preview of your selected file, in the center of ID Util’s Preview Window. You can also see multiple previews, by dropping more than one InDesign file icon onto the “Drag and drop files to here” area of ID Util’s Welcome window.
• The file’s page size is displayed just below the file preview.
• If you want to zoom in or out, use the “Zoom” slider at the bottom of ID Util’s Preview Window.
• The file name is displayed at the top left of the Preview Window.
• The InDesign file version is shown at the top right. (This is helpful when you have a lower version of InDesign on your system and want to open a higher version document.)
• You can export InDesign files as PDF, JPG or PNG, by using the “Export” button, below the file name and to the left.
• Below the file name and just to the right of the “Export” button is the “Print” button, which you can use to print a physical copy of your InDesign file previews. You can also use the “Print” button to print to PDF.
• Below the file version and to the right is the “Resave HD” button, which you can use to create previews with high-quality image resolution. (An appropriate InDesign version should be installed, to use this feature.) Printing out the high-resolution previews can make it easier for you to view the details.
Example of an InDesign Preview that You Could Print, using Markzware’s ID Util:
Also Export or Package InDesign Files with ID Util for macOS
When you are viewing a document via ID Util, you also have the option to use the Export button in the Toolbar, to select a format in which to export the document.
In addition, while viewing the document with ID Util, you can use the Package item in the Toolbar, to collect previews, linked images, fonts, the original INDD document, plus a packaging report into a ZIP archive.
Benefits of ID Util
• is simple to operate: Just select an Adobe InDesign, IDML, or InCopy file and press your spacebar to preview that file. Click on ID Util’s “Print” button to print the preview.
• lets you preview a variety of Adobe InDesign, IDML and InCopy file versions.
• offers freedom from the Cloud.
• is free on the Mac App Store and does not require additional software to preview these files.
• gives you the option to export previews.
• fast version number access.
Click ID Util’s “Print” Button to Print an InDesign File Preview
(Print button is shown among top left items in this “Previews” view):
Some Features in ID Util
• Preview Adobe InDesign, IDML and InCopy files (CS2 through CC 2015).
• Export Previews as PNG, JPG or PDF.
• Collect and Package InDesign files.
• View styled stories from InDesign files.
• View previews of linked images.
• View a list of used fonts.
• View the document version (what version of InDesign was used to create the document).
• Print the document previews.
• If you have InDesign installed you can resave the document with High Resolution previews of all pages.
When using ID Util, you can export InDesign previews as PNG, JPG, or PDF, for printing. This gives users an easy, fast, and simple method for printing these preview pages for reviewing and sharing.
InDesign, IDML, and InCopy versions supported by ID Util:
• CC 2015
• CC 2014
Print InDesign File Previews: Preview InDesign CS5-CS6 CC-CC 2015 more