You might have a range of INDD files, originating in various InDesign versions, on your macOS. You may receive an InDesign CS6 file, while you have InDesign CS6 and InDesign CC 2018 installed. You can then use an application from Markzware that will help you to make sure that you are working in the right program version. That way, you will know you are dealing with the correct file.
Markzware is delighted to bring its software development expertise to commercial printers, publishers, and graphic artists. Markzware’s ID Util for macOS is a lightweight app that allows you to preview InDesign, InCopy and IDML files.
Ever save an INDD document in a newer InDesign version? ID Util displays the InDesign version number, so you can tell the version in which an INDD document was created. Watch this demonstration video, for more information:
Check InDesign Version of INDD Files for DTP Design
Markzware ID Util for macOS allows users to preview InDesign CS5–InDesign CC, InCopy and IDML files, as well as to export those files to JPEG, PNG or PDF. This application also displays the version number of the Adobe InDesign program used to create the file.
ID Util’s Preview Window Will Display for You:
• a preview of your selected file.
• InDesign or IDML file page size info.
• Zoom controls and preset zoom hot keys.
• the file name.
• InDesign, IDML or InCopy file version.
• the preview Export button.
• the Print button.
• Resave HD option to view high-definition previews of InDesign files (if the appropriate InDesign version is active on your computer).
How to Check the Adobe InDesign Version of INDD Files for DTP Design, via ID Util for macOS:
• Install Markzware’s ID Util for macOS.
• Select the InDesign, IDML, or InCopy file in Finder.
• To get a quick look preview of the selected file, click the spacebar.
• Zoom Previews: When viewing a document’s preview, you will see the Zoom Tools at the bottom of the Preview Window. Using the slider or zoom segments, you can zoom in and out. This allows you to view the preview in more detail or zoom out to see thumbnail-sized previews of multiple pages at once.
• The top section of the Welcome Window is the active Drag and Drop area. By dragging files into this area it will turn blue, if ID Util recognizes the file type. When you drop, a preview will be generated.
• Preview InDesign, IDML, and InCopy Files: View previews of a document in Finder, by pushing your spacebar. You can turn on thumbnail previews in ID Util preferences and view thumbnail previews in Finder. This is an easy way to locate a specific file if you’re unsure of the file name.
• View Page Previews for InDesign, IDML, and InCopy files. By default, Adobe InDesign will save the first two page previews at medium resolution. You can modify your InDesign preferences to save all page previews at high resolution for better preview support.
• See the version of the InDesign file: The InDesign file version is shown at the top right of the Preview Window.
• Open In InDesign (CS5 or higher) via the Welcome Window: If you have multiple versions of InDesign installed on your system or simply want to ensure that you do not up-save documents by accident you can use ID Util’s Open in InDesign functionality to ensure that your files are opened by the proper version of InDesign. In the case that you do not have the same version of InDesign installed as the document version then ID Util will warn you before allowing you to Cancel or Continue with the open operation.
You Can Also:
• Export the previews as PNG, JPG or PDF files, for sharing with clients and team mates who may not have InDesign. View the file version (InDesign CC 2018, for example) and the page print size.
• View Stories: See and export story content from an INDD document. Story content is displayed in a window as plain text (TXT format).
• View Styled Stories: View and export styled stories (RTF format), which reflect styles used in the previewed InDesign document. Export as TXT (plain text), RTF (styled text), and HTML (HyperText Markup Language).
• Batch Previews: Want to preview more than one file at a time? ID Util can enable that. Just drag and drop multiple files onto ID Util’s drag and drop area. ID Util will display each file’s preview in a separate window. To select multiple files for previewing, click File > Open, then press Command-Click or Shift-Click. Each file’s preview will open in an individual window. If the Welcome Window gets covered by the individual file preview windows, you can press Command-Semicolon, to put the Welcome Window in front of the previews.
• Copy Previews: Click on a preview to select and highlight the preview. Press Command-C to copy the selected preview to the Clipboard. Paste the copy of the preview into your chosen applications.
• Resave InDesign Documents with High Resolution HD Previews, while the matching InDesign version is active: Click the “Resave HD” button below the file version section in ID Util’s Preview Window. Text lines that show as blurry gray lines in InDesign normally show as legible text lines, after using ID Util’s Resave HD feature.
Get better control over the program version in which your INDD file opens! With ID Util, you can open your INDD files in the most fitting InDesign application version on your computer.
“The preview window also shows which version of InDesign was used to create the document (in the title bar) as well as the dimensions of InDesign/IDML documents…”
– Jamie McKee (mackeycomposition.com), book designer & typesetter
Source: InDesign Magazine Issue 90, InReview: ID Util
Markzware ID Util Benefits
• is simple to operate.
• file type flexibility: Preview files from a range of Adobe InDesign, IDML and InCopy versions (CS6 through CC 2018).
• freedom from the Cloud.
• free: ID Util is on the Mac App Store and does not cost anything to preview these files.
• offers the option to transfer previews.
• preview a variety of Adobe InDesign, IDML and InCopy file versions.
• lets you view the InDesign file version.
ID Util Features for Adobe InDesign
• InDesign CS2 through CC 2018 File Previews.
• InDesign Styled Stories.
• Linked Images Previews.
• Used Fonts List.
• Document Version.
• High Resolution Previews.
• Previews as PNG, JPG or PDF.
• Document Previews.
It is easy to make the mistake of editing and saving an incoming INDD document in a more recent file version. ID Util solves this particular issue, by acting as a liaison between the file and the installed InDesign versions.
Make your macOS launch the correct InDesign version! ID Util attempts to find the proper version of InDesign in which the file was last saved.
You can ensure that files are opened in the proper version of InDesign. ID Util notes the version of the INDD file you are trying to open and enables it to open in the most suitable InDesign program version.
DTP Design: Remember to Check the Adobe InDesign Version of INDD Files