Markzware offers valuable file preview, conversion, recovery, and preflight solutions to the print, publishing, and graphic arts industries. Markzware’s ID Util is a lightweight app that allows you to preview pages of InDesign (or InCopy or IDML) files, as well as to see the document’s InDesign version.
Fast Adobe InDesign File Previewing, Version Checking: ID Util macOS
Markzware ID Util for macOS enables users to view InDesign, InCopy and IDML (CS2-CC 2018) file previews, plus export the previews as JPEG, PNG or PDF. The InDesign file’s version number is displayed, so that you may know the version number of the document you are previewing.
Steps for Fast Adobe InDesign File Previewing and Version Checking, via ID Util macOS:
• Install the ID Util for macOS app by Markzware.
• Select the InDesign, IDML, or InCopy file in Finder.
• To preview the selected file, click the spacebar. (For thumbnail-sized previews, view your files in thumbnail view.)
• Zoom Previews: To see more detail, zoom in. To see multiple pages at once, zoom out.
• Drag & Drop: The top section of the Welcome Window is the active Drag and Drop area. By dragging files into this area it will turn blue, if ID Util recognizes the file type. When you drop, a preview will be generated.
• View the version of your InDesign File: When you preview InDesign files, the version of the file is displayed after the name of the document in the Preview Window Title. For IDML and InCopy files, you will see the name of your file followed by either IDML or InCopy in the Preview Window title.
• Get a Quick Look Preview of Files (for InDesign, IDML, and InCopy): View document previews from any Finder window with the push of the spacebar. Optionally, turn on thumbnail previews from the ID Util preferences and view thumbnail previews in any Finder window. This is a quick and easy method to find the specific file you are looking for, if you do not remember exactly what you named it.
• View Page Previews (for InDesign, IDML, and InCopy files): By default, Adobe InDesign will save the first two page previews at medium resolution. You can modify your InDesign preferences to save all page previews at high resolution for better preview support. Preview Adobe InDesign, IDML, and InCopy files without needing Adobe software to be installed on your system. Export and share previews with customers or colleagues who may not have InDesign. View the pasge print size, as well as the file version (for example, InDesign CC 2014).
• View InDesign Stories: Allow users to view and export the story content from the InDesign document. Initially, the story content will be shown in a single window as plain text.
• View InDesign Styled Stories: View and export styled stories that will mirror the styles in the previewed InDesign document. Export options include TXT (for plain text), RTF (for styled text), and HTML.
• Batch Preview InDesign Files: ID Util lets you preview several files at one time. Select multiple files to preview, by using the File > Open menu item or Command-O, then pressing Command-Click or Shift-Click. Drag and drop the files onto ID Util’s Drag & Drop area at once and you can preview individual files in their own windows. Each file you dropped there will be displayed in a separate window.
• Copy InDesign Previews to the Clipboard: You can select a preview by clicking on it, which will highlight the preview. Press Command-C to copy the currently selected preview to the Clipboard. You can then paste the preview graphic into other apps.
• Generate High Resolution InDesign Previews (with the appropriate InDesign version active), via the Resave HD button below the file version section in ID Util’s Preview Window: InDesign’s standard preferences often cause text to display as gray lines, but typically, after running Resave HD, text is quite legible.
• Open InDesign Interface in Welcome Window: Allow the user to open the previewed file in the version of InDesign that the file was last saved in. This ensures that files created in older versions of InDesign will continue to be editable in those older versions.
If you’re a printer, a customer may submit an InDesign CS6 file for editing. You wouldn’t want to return the file as a CC 2018 file to the customer, so be sure to check the file version, via ID Util for macOS.
What Is In ID Util’s Preview Window?
There are several features in the Preview Window. The center displays a preview of your selected file. Below the preview is info on the file page size of InDesign and IDML files. Zoom controls are at the bottom of the Preview Window. (You can use the slider or click on one of the preset values to zoom in or out of the preview. There are also hot keys for the preset zoom values.) The file name is at the top left of the Preview Window (so you know which file you are previewing. The InDesign file version is at the top right of the Preview Window. (For IDML files, this section will show “IDML”. For InCopy files, this section will show “InCopy”.) Export, below the top left of the Preview Window, allows you to export your previews as PNGs, JPGs, or PDFs. Print (to the right of the Export section) allows you to print a hard copy of your previews or print a PDF. Resave HD (below the file version section) allows you to generate high resolution previews of InDesign files, while an appropriate version of InDesign is installed and active on your computer.
Keyboard Shortcuts for ID Util
Bring up Preference window: Command + Comma
Close active window: Command + W
Copy current selected preview to Clipboard: Command + C
Export Previews: Command + E
Open a file for viewing: Command + O
Print Previews: Command + P
Resave HD: Shift + Command + S
Show ID Util Window or bring it to the front: Command + Semicolon
Zoom out to 25% size: Command + 1
Zoom out to 50% size: Command + 2
Zoom to 100%: Command + 3
Zoom to 200%: Command + 4
Have InDesign installed? Then, you have the ability to generate high resolution previews of your documents via ID Util for macOS.
“For optimal results when working with ID Util, the preference should be set to All Pages and to the Extra Large 1024 × 1024 preview size… Helpfully, there’s a command on ID Util’s Tools menu to adjust this setting for you.”
– Jamie McKee (mackeycomposition.com), book designer & typesetter
ID Util for macOS Benefits
• simple to operate: Allows preview of Adobe InDesign, IDML, and InCopy files, via a tap of the spacebar.
• versatile: Lets you preview a variety of InDesign, IDML and InCopy file versions (CS2 through CC 2018).
• independent: requires no Adobe program installation, for basic previewing.
• free: can be downloaded, at no cost, from the Mac App Store.
• supports export formats: can output InDesign, IDML and InCopy previews as PNG, JPG or PDF.
• supports fast-paced workflows: gives you quick version number access.
Get a Quick Look at Adobe InDesign File Previews and
Check File Versions, via Markzware‘s ID Util for macOS app:
Highlights of ID Util software
• Preview Adobe InDesign, IDML and InCopy files.
• Export Previews as PNG, JPG or PDF.
• View styled stories from InDesign files.
• View previews of linked images.
• View a list of used fonts.
• View the InDesign version used to create the document.
• Print the document previews.
• Resave the document with High Resolution previews of all pages (with InDesign installed).
Although ID Util is a free download on the Mac App Store, its features can provide great value to today’s creative workflows. Multi-functionality makes it easier for printers, publishers and graphic designers to handle INDD document content.
ID Util for macOS supports InDesign, IDML, and InCopy versions for Adobe:
• CC 2018
• CC 2017
• CC 2015
• CC 2014
ID Util for macOS is developed by Markzware, a dependable provider of ROI-yielding software for users of Adobe InDesign and other DTP files. Using ID Util, creative organizations can realize a substantial return on their software investment. Get it today and start saving design time and money in your workflow!
Get ID Util for macOS for Free
You can access ID Util on the Mac App Store and download it for free. See more Adobe compatible solutions for the macOS platform on the Markzware Products page. You can also subscribe to the Markzware Mailing List and socialize with Markzware on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google+.
Fast Adobe InDesign File Previewing, Version Checking: ID Util macOS