If you have numerous Adobe InDesign documents on your device, it could be difficult to tell which rendering of a design is the one that you need to view. An application that allows you to preview several INDD documents could be helpful, especially when your client is requesting immediate turnaround.
Markzware develops several technologies, including technology that enables you to see a clearer representation of content in your unopened InDesign files. Markzware’s ID Util meets this challenge by allowing users to view the page previews along with the documents stories and images without the need of having InDesign.
ID Util for macOS is one of Markzware’s Freebies for users of Adobe InDesign files for desktop publishing (DTP). With ID Util, InDesign users can view file previews, styled stories, linked images and used fonts, as well as export the previews and stories to standard formats. Watch this demonstration video, to learn more:
Preview InDesign Images: Check InDesign CS2-CC 2018 Images via ID Util
How to Use Markzware’s ID Util:
• Install Markzware’s ID Util for macOS.
• Select the InDesign, IDML, or InCopy file in Finder.
• To preview the selected file, click the spacebar.
• For thumbnail-sized previews, view your files in thumbnail view. (You can zoom in on details or zoom out to see multiple pages at once.)
• The top section of the Welcome Window is the active Drag and Drop area. By dragging files into this area it will turn blue, if ID Util recognizes the file type. When you drop, a preview will be generated.
• Below the top section’s drag and drop area is the Open Files button. Clicking on the Open Files button brings up a standard Open window, where you select the files you want to preview.
Items You Can See in ID Util’s Preview Window:
• a preview of your selected file.
• InDesign or IDML file page size info.
• Zoom controls and preset zoom hot keys.
• file name.
• InDesign, IDML or InCopy file version.
• preview Export button.
• Print button.
• Resave HD option to view high-definition previews of InDesign files (if the appropriate InDesign version is active on your computer).
Keyboard Shortcuts You Can Use with ID Util
Bring up Preference window: Command + Comma
Close active window: Command + W
Copy current selected preview to Clipboard: Command + C
Export Previews: Command + E
Open a file for viewing: Command + O
Print Previews: Command + P
Resave HD: Shift + Command + S
Show ID Util Window or bring it to the front: Command + Semicolon
Zoom out to 25% size: Command + 1
Zoom out to 50% size: Command + 2
Zoom to 100%: Command + 3
Zoom to 200%: Command + 4
Adobe InDesign and InCopy users can download ID Util, a free, stand-alone application for macOS, to preview InDesign, IDML and InCopy files and output the previews. If you do have InDesign on your system, you can enable high quality image resolution for your document previews. (Without ID Util, many recipients of InDesign files cannot view those files, because the InDesign program itself is not installed on the machine-in-use.)
ID Util for macOS Benefits
• is simple to operate.
• is flexible enough to accommodate a variety of InDesign, IDML and InCopy versions.
• previews InDesign, IDML and InCopy files, without needing to install InDesign on your system.
• is free: ID Util is on the Mac App Store and does not cost anything to preview these files.
• exports previews: You can output your InDesign, IDML and InCopy previews as PNG, JPG or PDF.
• gives you fast version number access.
Preview InDesign Images Page by Page, Using
ID Util to Check InDesign CS2-CC 2018 Images:
ID Util for macOS Features
• Preview Adobe InDesign, IDML and InCopy files (CS2 through CC 2018).
• Export Previews as PNG, JPG or PDF.
• View styled stories from InDesign files.
• View previews of linked images.
• View a list of used fonts.
• View the InDesign version used to create the document.
• Print the document previews.
• If you have InDesign installed, you can resave the document with High Resolution previews of all pages.
What You Can Do with InDesign Previews, using Markzware ID Util
• Quick Look Previews: View document previews from any Finder window with the push of the spacebar.
• Batch Previews: ID Util enables batch file previews. Use File > Open, then Command-Click to select multiple files for previewing. Then, drag several files onto ID Util and each file will be previewed in an individual window of its own.
• Zoom Previews: When viewing a document’s previews, you can use zoom in or out, using the slider or zoom segments at the bottom of the Preview Window, to zoom in and out.
• Save HD Previews: Modify your InDesign preferences to save all page previews at high resolution.
• Copy Previews: Click on a preview to select and highlight the preview. Press Command-C to copy the selected preview to the Clipboard. Paste the copy of the preview into your chosen applications.
• Print Previews: The Print section (to the right of the Export section) in the Preview Window allows you to print a hard copy of your previews or print a PDF.
• Export Previews: Share your InDesign previews, in PNG, JPG, or PDF document formats, using Markzware’s ID Util macOS app.
ID Util for macOS supports InDesign, IDML, and InCopy versions for Adobe:
• CC 2018
• CC 2017
• CC 2015
• CC 2014
The Place command is the primary method used to insert graphics into InDesign because it provides the highest level of support for resolution, file formats, multipage PDF and INDD files, and color. To place graphics is also referred to as import images and insert pictures. … The options for importing graphics vary depending on the type of image being imported. To display import options, make sure that Show Import Options is selected in the Place dialog box. … InDesign preserves the layout, graphics, and typography in a placed INDD file. However, the file is treated as an object, and you can’t edit it, although you can control the visibility of layers and choose which pages of a multi-page INDD file to import. … The Place command lets you import more than one item at a time.
Need to Preview InDesign Files? Consider How ID Util Can Help
• Ease: ID Util gives you an easy way to preview InDesign documents.
• Affordability: View InDesign file previews for free.
• Cloud-Free: Skip the Adobe InDesign installation process.
• Speed: Get a fast preview of your INDD documents.
• Multi-Version Support: Preview Creative Suite and Creative Cloud versions of Adobe InDesign, IDML, and InCopy files (including InDesign CC 2018).
• Version Number Display: You can see onscreen the InDesign version number.
• Collaboration: Share InDesign previews with associates, vendors, clients, etc.
ID Util can help you to check images by previewing INDD, InDesign Markup Language, and ICML document previews, styled story content, linked images and used fonts. It can also ensure that files are opened in the proper version of InDesign. Try it out today and see how it can help your business!
Get ID Util for macOS for Free
You can access ID Util on the Mac App Store and download it for free. See more Adobe compatible solutions for the macOS platform on the Markzware Products page. You are invited to sign up on Markzware Mailing List and to socialize with Markzware on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Google+.
InDesign Previews with ID Util for Macintosh
Preview InDesign Images: Check InDesign CS2-CC 2018 Images via ID Util