Markzware shows you how to migrate InDesign .indd files to Affinity Publisher .afpub files, on macOS, with or without Adobe InDesign. (If you do not have the InDesign app or a Creative Cloud subscription, you can migrate InDesign to Publisher, via Markzware’s IDMarkz macOS app.) Learn more, from this article and video:
InDesign to Publisher
With their Affinity Publisher layout application, Serif says that you can:
“Bring your vision to life with Affinity Publisher, the next generation of professional publishing software. From magazines, books, brochures, posters, reports and stationery to other creations, this incredibly smooth, intuitive app gives you the power to combine your images, graphics and text to make beautiful layouts ready for publication.”
In addition, you can open Adobe InDesign documents in Affinity Publisher via PDF (Portable Document Format), IDML (InDesign Markup Language), or the IDMarkz application by Markzware. These three options are described, below.
Migrate InDesign to Publisher via PDF
According to Adobe, the following steps explain how to export an InDesign file to PDF. (Once in PDF, the file can be opened by Affinity Publisher.):
Export an open document to PDF for printing
(1) Choose File > Export.
(2) Specify a name and location for the file.
(3) Select Use InDesign Document Name As The Output Filename, if you want the exported PDF to have the same name as the name of the document from the next export.
(4) For Save As Type (Windows) or Format (Mac OS), choose Adobe PDF (Print), and then click Save. When you select the Adobe PDF (Print) option, you cannot include interactive elements in the PDF. To export an interactive document to PDF, see Dynamic PDF documents.
(5) Do one of the following:
• To use a predefined set of job options, choose a preset from the Adobe PDF Preset menu.
• To create a PDF/X file, either choose a PDF/X preset from the Adobe PDF Preset menu, or choose a predefined PDF/X format from the Standard menu.
• To customize options, select a category from the list on the left and then set the options.
(6) For Compatibility, choose the lowest PDF version necessary to open the files you create.
(7) Specify the following Accessibility Options under the Advanced tab, if necessary:
• Display Title Choose what to display in the title bar of Acrobat when it opens your PDF. Available options are Document Title and File Name.
• Language Choose the document language for the PDF. This determines the default language for the exported PDF. If the required language is not in the list, you can also type the standard language ISO code.
(8) Click Export (Windows) or Save (Mac OS).
Migrate InDesign to Publisher via IDML
According to Adobe, you can use the following steps to save an InDesign (.indd) document in the InDesign Markup Language (IDML) format. (Once in IDML format, the file can be opened by Affinity Publisher.):
Save an InDesign Markup (IDML) document
In some cases you may want to save an InDesign in interchange markup format. It’s especially useful to save in this format when you open a QuarkXPress or PageMaker publication in InDesign, when you open a document created in a previous version of InDesign, or when you’re experiencing problems with your document, such as not being able to delete color swatches.
(1) Choose File > Save (CS6) or File > Export (CS5).
(2) From the Save As Type (Windows) or Format (Mac OS) menu, choose InDesign Markup (IDML).
(3) Click Save. You can open the saved IDML file in InDesign CS5 and InDesign CS4 but not in any previous version of InDesign.
In general, you open document and template files the same way you do in other programs. When you open an InDesign template, it opens as a new, untitled document by default. … markup files use the extension .idml …
You can also use the File > Open command to open files from … InDesign Markup (.idml) files.
Don’t Have InDesign or CC?
Use IDMarkz, to Migrate
InDesign to Publisher!
If you do not have InDesign or you are considering cancellation of your Creative Cloud subscription, you can still migrate InDesign files to Affinity Publisher, by using Markzware’s IDMarkz app.
Markzware develops preview, preflight, and file conversion software for printers, publishers, graphic designers, creative professionals, and the like. Markzware’s IDMarkz is a multi-featured application that processes Adobe InDesign files for use in numerous file formats on the macOS platform.
IDMarkz can help you to open Adobe InDesign documents, within the Affinity Publisher layout application by Serif. This video demonstration walks you through the steps:
IDMarkz Open in Publisher Feature Affinity Publisher (video):
How to Open an InDesign File in Affinity Publisher:
• Drag & drop your files onto the IDMarkz window, in the “Drag and drop files here” section.
• With Affinity Publisher loaded, click on the “Publisher” icon in the top of the IDMarkz window.
• Click the “Open” button in the “PDF Options” window opened by Publisher, which will assign a profile.
• quickly processes InDesign files on a Mac
• offers ease-of-use in a versatile, multi-purpose app
• saves money on Creative Cloud subscriptions
“I just [downloaded] IDMarkz and had a first look. Amazingly simple. Wow! That is something… Very clever, how Affinity [Publisher] already is integrated. This will build trust and it will be even better if IDML will be integrated in Affinity [Publisher]. But also XPress, Adobe products, another InDesign file, Drag-and-drop… I’m impressed! [smile emoji]”
– Karsten Risseeuw, Kursiv Software
IDMarkz Features include:
• Open InDesign files in earlier InDesign versions or in QuarkXPress, Affinity Publisher, Acrobat, Illustrator, … .
• Open InDesign files in Acrobat and Annotate the PDF.
• Preview InDesign files & export .indd files as IDML, PDF, TIFF, PNG, JPEG, or GIF. (The “Export as IDML…” option brings up a window asking you where to Save the IDML file. Once you select a location, clicking the Choose button will export an IDML of the active document to that location. Selecting the “Open in Affinity Publisher” option will initially bring up a message explaining how IDMarkz will work with Affinity Publisher.)
You can use automation features to export an IDML and open it in a selected application, today! Buy Markzware’s low-cost IDMarkz Mac Subscription (including IDMarkz updates throughout your 12-month subscription term), via the IDMarkz page. Additional Markzware products are available via the Products page.
Which file format do you use the most, for graphic arts, print, or publishing? Do you need to open InDesign files in other layout applications or as image files or … ? Please share your answers with Markzware on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube. Thanks!
How to Migrate InDesign .indd Files to Affinity Publisher .afpub macOS