Did you know you can preview InDesign files, whether Creative Cloud or Creative Suite versions, without opening them in InDesign? There is an app that lets you view saved InDesign files in a window and also to preview INDD files as thumbnails in Finder. Plus, it does it all, without a Creative Cloud subscription or CC restrictions.
Markzware is the developer of a number of high-quality software products for printers, publishers, and graphic designers. Markzware’s IDMarkz is an InDesign CC & CS file-processing application to preview InDesign documents; export as IDML, PDF, and common file formats; view Thumbnails, Thumbnails menu, and file version; view with the Quick Look plug-in; open InDesign in older InDesign versions, Affinity Publisher, QuarkXPress, and in annotatable Acrobat PDF.
Preview features are available in a free IDMarkz demo version. No need to load Adobe InDesign on the user’s computer, for IDMarkz to open, preview and export files. See how to view InDesign files, without opening them, as shown in this IDMarkz preview demonstration video:
Video: Preview InDesign Documents
How to Preview InDesign Files via IDMarkz
To preview Adobe InDesign files:
- Drag & drop your files onto the main IDMarkz window, in the “Drag and drop files here” section. The inspector panel provides document details (document type, file size, date created, date modified, number of pages, number of spreads, page size, number of fonts and missing fonts, number of colors used, number of images embedded, number of stories, etc.).
- You can zoom in and out, scroll, and even see the document in spread view.
“Preview any InDesign file & view basic file info. Zoom previews & drag thumbnails from the preview area, to create a PDF.”
– Paul R. White, Editor-in-Chief/CEO, PrintPlanet.com
Preview InDesign Files
IDMarkz can read the InDesign or IDML file and create previews, which are displayed in its main preview area. Markzware’s IDMarkz uses its own engine and technology, to generate high-resolution previews, without relying on Adobe InDesign. It even displays the dimensions of the file you are previewing!
Markzware’s IDMarkz can preview all pages of an InDesign document, without any preview data written into the file, even if InDesign has only saved bitmap previews for the first two pages. IDMarkz shows legible text, making it easy to check InDesign files.
Scrolling Thumbnail View
IDMarkz also shows a small thumbnail image of each page of the file. View and scroll thumbnails on the right of the main preview window. Click a thumbnail to switch to a preview of that specific page.
Quick Look Plug-In Included
Does your InDesign file contains bitmap previews? With your IDMarkz subscription, you will still be able to preview thumbnails of InDesign documents, in the macOS Finder.
Benefits of IDMarkz
• enables fast InDesign file viewing, on the macOS platform
• saves additional costs of expensive InDesign file apps
• allows freedom from Creative Cloud subscriptions
Features in IDMarkz
• Zoomable preview
• Document Inspector Panel
• Drag a thumbnail out of the preview or thumbnail areas, to create an image of the page
• Automation features that work with InDesign, Acrobat, plus other apps
• Export your file as an image in PNG, TIFF, JPEG and GIF formats
• Export a PDF with editable text
Document Inspector Panel
IDMarkz has a handy file info window that shows you details, such as the InDesign version in which your file was created, File Creation date, Modification dates, and the number of:
• pages or spreads
• fonts, colors, and images used
• Stories in the file
IDMarkz allows you to preview the following Adobe InDesign versions:
• CC 2020
• CC 2019
• CC 2018
• CC 2017
• CC 2015
• CC 2014
How to Buy IDMarkz
You can buy Markzware’s low-cost IDMarkz Mac Subscription, which includes IDMarkz updates throughout your 12-month subscription term. For further details, please visit the IDMarkz page. Additional Markzware products, for processing InDesign and other desktop publishing file types, are available via the Products page.
How to Preview InDesign Files: IDMarkz INDD File Processing macOS App