When it comes to Adobe InDesign projects, Markzware solutions can help both large and small businesses to produce high quality documents. Markzware’s ID Util for macOS is a free application to preview InDesign, InCopy, and IDML files, and it is available at the Mac App Store. Following are some pointers, to assist you in using this app.
3 Tips for Previewing Adobe InDesign Files on macOS via Markzware ID Util:
1. Batch Previews: ID Util enables previews of a batch of InDesign files. Use File > Open, then Command-Click to select multiple files for previewing. Then, drag several files onto ID Util and each file will be previewed in an individual window of its own.
2. Copy Previews: Click on a preview, to select and highlight the preview. Press Command-C to copy the selected preview to the Clipboard. Paste the copy of the preview into your chosen application(s).
3. Share Previews: You can share your InDesign previews (as .png, .jpg, or .pdf format) with others, via the Export button at the top left of ID Util’s Preview Window.
Want to see how Markzware ID Util for macOS works? Just watch this demonstration video:
The newest edition of ID Util for previewing files delivers helpful capabilities to an industry filled with InDesign documents. This valuable application from Markzware is compatible with industry standard, Adobe InDesign, and from which creative workflow users can benefit.
“ID Util opens with a welcome window into which you can drag InDesign, InCopy, or IDML CS2–CC 2015 [and now CC 2018] files … When you do, each file will open in its own window showing the preview of that file.”
– Jamie McKee (mackeycomposition.com), book designer & typesetter, U.S. university presses
Source: InDesign Magazine, Issue 90, InReview: ID Util
Benefits of Using ID Util for macOS:
• easily preview a variety of Adobe IDML, InCopy and InDesign versions with a click of the spacebar.
• preview InDesign, without needing to install the InDesign layout application on your system.
• costs nothing to download and do basic file previews.
•gives the option to output your InDesign, IDML and InCopy previews as PNG, JPG or PDF.0
• lets you also view the version of the InDesign file that you are previewing.
ID Util is developed by Markzware, a software provider for Adobe InDesign and other DTP file users around the globe. The app has a streamlined interface for maximizing recognition and use of your design.
The Preview Window displays several features:
• The center displays a preview of your selected file.
• Below the preview is info on the file page size. This only applies to InDesign and IDML files, as InCopy files do not have a page size.
• Zoom controls are at the bottom of the Preview Window. You can use the slider or click on one of the preset values to zoom in or out of the preview. There are also hot keys for the preset zoom values.
• The file name is at the top left of ID Util‘s Preview Window (so you know which file you are previewing.
• The InDesign file version is at the top right of the Preview Window. (For IDML files, this section will show IDML. For InCopy files, this section will show InCopy.)
• Export (just below the top left of the Preview Window) allows you to export PNG, JPG, or PDFs of your previews.
• Print (to the right of the Export section) allows you to print a hard copy of your previews or print a PDF.
• Resave HD (at the top right, below the file version section) allows you to generate high resolution previews of InDesign files (if an appropriate version of InDesign is installed and active on your computer).
ID Util gives graphic design file users the inside file information they need to quickly tell designs apart in the layout production process. Yet, you don’t have to install or run the Adobe InDesign application on your computer, to see previews with Markzware ID Util.
ID Util for macOS Features
• Preview Adobe InDesign, IDML and InCopy files.
• Export Previews as PNG, JPG or PDF.
• View styled stories from InDesign files.
• View previews of linked images.
• View a list of used fonts.
• View the document version (what version of InDesign was used to create the document).
• Print the document previews.
• If you have InDesign installed, you can resave the document with High Resolution previews of all pages.
Paragraph Borders and Shading
Back in InDesign CC 2015, one of the most requested new features arrived: the ability to add shading behind a paragraph. But it was missing its companion feature—adding a border around the outside of the same paragraph.
That deficiency has now been remedied with enhancements to paragraph shading and the addition of a paragraph border feature in CC 2018.
– Steve Werner, InDesign trainer, consultant, and author
How to Use ID Util for macOS
• Install Markzware’s ID Util.
• Select the InDesign, IDML, or InCopy file in Finder.
• To preview the selected file, click the spacebar. (For thumbnail-sized previews, view your files in thumbnail view. To see more detail, zoom in. To see multiple pages at once, zoom out.)
• You can also drag files to the Drag and Drop area in the top section of the Welcome Window. If ID Util recognizes the file type, the area will turn blue. A preview will be generated, when you drop the file.
• Click on the Open Files button (below the top section’s Drag and Drop area), to bring up a standard Open window, where you can select the files that you wish to preview.
Keyboard Shortcuts to Preview InDesign with ID Util:
• Bring up Preference window: Command + Comma.
• Copy current selected preview to Clipboard: Command + C
• Export Previews: Command + E.
• Open a file for viewing: Command + O.
• Print Previews: Command + P.
• Resave HD is Shift + Command + S.
• Zoom to 25% size is Command + 1.
• Zoom to 50% size is Command + 2.
• Zoom to 100% is Command + 3.
• Zoom to 200% is Command + 4.
ID Util for macOS helps users to meet operational goals and attain optimal performance. After previewing your InDesign files, you can use ID Util to put your styled stories into an appropriate format, so it can be acceptable to the receiver.
3 Tips for Previewing Adobe InDesign Files on macOS: Markzware ID Util