Among many other features, Adobe InDesign lets you export InDesign as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file or as an InDesign Markup Language (IDML) file. QuarkXPress users can import PDF files or IDML files that contain content originally created in InDesign.
But what if you don’t have the InDesign layout application? Markzware shows you how the IDMarkz app can help. Find out more and see the video, in this article:
Markzware develops preview, preflight, and file conversion software for printers, publishers, graphic designers, creative professionals, and the like. Markzware’s IDMarkz is a multi-featured application that processes Adobe InDesign files, for use in numerous file formats on the macOS platform.
How to Export InDesign to PDF, via IDMarkz
To export an Adobe InDesign file as a Portable Document Format (PDF) file, via IDMarkz:
- Drag & drop your file onto the IDMarkz window, in the “Drag and drop files here” section.
- Click on the “Export” icon in the top left of the IDMarkz viewing window.
- Select “PDF”.
Once you have the InDesign content in the Portable Document Format, you can import it into Quark’s QuarkXPress application, using the following steps :
How to Import PDF into QuarkXPress, via QuarkXPress
• Open QuarkXPress.
• From the “File” menu, select “New”, then select “Project” and click “OK”.
• From the “File” menu, select “Import”.
• Select the PDF file. (QuarkXPress will open the file.)
You can also export InDesign to IDML, via Adobe InDesign‘s “File” menu, by selecting “Save As”. In the “Save As” window, select “IDML” for the “Save As” field and select “InDesign CS4 or later (IDML)” for the “Format” field. Then, click the “Save” button. If you do not have the InDesign application, you can use the IDMarkz application by Markzware, to export InDesign as IDML.
How to Export InDesign as IDML, via IDMarkz
To export an Adobe InDesign file as an InDesign Markup Language (IDML) file:
• Drag & drop your file onto the IDMarkz window, in the “Drag and drop files here” section.
• Click on the “Export” icon in the top left of the IDMarkz viewing window.
• Select “IDML”.
Once you have the InDesign content in the InDesign Markup Language format, you can then import the IDML file into QuarkXPress, via these steps:
How to Import IDML into QuarkXPress, via QuarkXPress
• In QuarkXPress “File” menu, choose “New” and select “Project from IDML”.
• Select the IDML file in the file system.
• Once the file is open in QuarkXPress, you can work on it and save it as a QuarkXPress document.
If you do not have InDesign (or are considering cancelling or avoiding a Creative Cloud subscription), you can still use IDMarkz to help you convert InDesign to QuarkXPress.
Video: IDMarkz Open in Quark
How to Open an InDesign File in QuarkXPress, via IDMarkz
To convert InDesign (as IDML) and open in QuarkXPress 2018 or higher:
1. Drag & drop your files onto the IDMarkz window, in the “Drag and drop files here” section.
2. Click on the “Quark” icon in the top of the IDMarkz window.
3. Click the “OK” button in the “IDML Import” dialog, which QuarkXPress opens. QuarkXPress will convert the IDML file to QuarkXPress, and the editable file opens in QuarkXPress.
• IDMarkz quickly processes InDesign files on a Mac,
• offers ease-of-use in a versatile, multi-purpose app, and
• saves money on Creative Cloud subscriptions
“If you do a conversion from one application to another, … it is probably because you want to update the document. So, you have a legacy document and you need to do some corrections and I would accept minor tweaks and touch-up because, in the end, I need to do some other edits to the document, probably in the new software, be it Quark or Affinity Publisher.
There are probably other things you want to do with the document. Then, you’re just grateful you can bring most of it over to this new platform. Then, continue from there.”
– Paul Lindström, Technical Editor, Journalist & Consultant, Digital Dots
IDMarkz Features include:
• Open InDesign files in earlier InDesign versions or in QuarkXPress, Affinity Publisher, Acrobat, Illustrator, and other popular applications. (Select the “Open in QuarkXPress” option and a message will explain how IDMarkz will work with QuarkXPress. For IDMarkz to use this feature, you must be using QuarkXPress 2019. (This IDMarkz feature may also work with QuarkXPress 2018, although not technically supported. )
• Open InDesign files in Acrobat and Annotate the PDF
• Preview InDesign files & export .indd files as IDML, PDF, TIFF, PNG, JPEG, or GIF
You can use automation features to export an IDML and open it in a selected application, today! Buy Markzware’s low-cost IDMarkz Mac Subscription (including IDMarkz updates throughout your 12-month subscription term) at
Do you handle Adobe InDesign and/or QuarkXPress files? Have you tried to transfer InDesign content to QuarkXPress? Please join us on social media sites and tell us about your experiences, via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube.
Import InDesign PDF/IDML into QuarkXPress macOS without Adobe InDesign