You can export InDesign content to HTML, for use in a blog, portfolio, email marketing platform, etc., via Markzware’s IDMarkz app. Check out the following article, which offers specials on free usage of DTP applications (for a limited time), a video, a list of top portfolio websites, a list of top template websites, tips, and more, to help you with your creative projects:
Markzware develops preview, preflight, and file conversion software for printers, publishers, graphic designers, creative professionals, and the like. Markzware’s IDMarkz is a multi-featured application that allows you to use content from Adobe InDesign files, in your choice of many file formats, for the macOS platform.
IDMarkz can help you to get your InDesign story text online. Watch this video about Markzware’s versatile application for processing Adobe INDD documents:
InDesign Text Export with IDMarkz NEW (video):
InDesign Story Text
An Adobe InDesign story is a single text frame or multiple threaded text frames in a .indd document. Of course, you can use the Layout view in InDesign to add text or modify your file. You can also use the Story Editor feature, to remove formatting or layout aspects that might sidetrack you, while you create your document. (Source: https://www.school-for-champions.com/indesign/story_editor.htm)
You can click a story, which is usually text, then, select View > Extras > Show Text Threads. This will display the flow of the text. Use the Type tool and selecting this text, you can see if the text flows beyond the first frame, into the second frame, in an individual story. Sometimes, clients place content from other programs into InDesign. One team member can edit the text in InCopy, while a creative professional works on the document’s artwork in InDesign. InDesign and InCopy will preserve the formatting of the text.
Note: In the “What is a story?” video at the above link, InDesign expert, Chad Chelius, explains how to create a story in Adobe InDesign, format text, use styles, create and edit tables, create text macros, export to PDF, and more.
Free InDesign Portfolio Template
InDesignSecrets Premium Members can download the InDesign Template of the Month for May 2020, which happens to be a portfolio layout! If you’re not a Premium Member, yet, you can get 10% off (use the code TEMPLATE), when you sign up in May 2020 at:
This InDesignSecrets portfolio template (in INDD and IDML formats) includes master pages and styles you can use, or you can edit them, to make an eye-catching portfolio for displaying your artwork. Instructions and color swatches accompany the template. You can get the fonts from Adobe Fonts.
Export InDesign Story Text to HTML for Online Use
InDesign Newsletters, Emails & Flyers
Tip: InDesign Secrets also offers free InDesign newsletter templates for emails, flyers, and such. These newsletter templates are available at no cost to both free and premium InDesignSecrets members at
You can also do an internet search for videos on how to import html into a specific email or marketing platform.
You can use IDMarkz to export text from InDesign stories to HTML files, which you can import or paste into your online blog, portfolio, email/marketing automation platform (Constant Contact, MailChimp, etc.), or other web pages that accept HTML.
How IDMarkz can help: Use IDMarkz to export an InDesign story to an HTML file. Then, use the resulting HTML file, to create internet pages, as appropriate.
If you know of or can find suitably relevant online platforms that accept HTML, you can import or paste the HTML into those platforms. Note: IDMarkz extracts only the text from an InDesign story, for export to HTML. It does not, at the time of this writing, convert non-text elements, such as images or text boxes.
“Let’s hope people find their way to this really useful, handy tool, because it is really a godsend, for when you send and have legacy files that you don’t know what to do with and need to, instead of remake the whole design, which takes days and weeks. Within minutes, you have it, and that should be really useful for lots of people. Excellent!”
– Paul Lindström, Technical Editor, Journalist & Consultant, Digital Dots
10 Portfolio Websites on which You Can
Build a Portfolio for InDesign Artwork
• Behance (https://www.behance.net/) is Adobe’s social media network to showcase and discover creative work, for creatives of almost any type, to inspire, network, job hunt, get feedback on designs, and more. You do not have to be a Creative Cloud subscriber to use Behance.
• Wix (https://www.wix.com/) is a web development platform (with millions of users in 190 countries) that enables a small business to create a stunning website, for free.
• Squarespace (http://www.squarespace.com/) is a paid platform that provides creative tools (websites, online stores, domains, and more) that empowers millions of people, including local artists and entrepreneurs, with creative ideas to succeed, share stories, and create an impactful, stylish, and easy-to-manage online presence.
• Carbonmade (https://carbonmade.com/) is a paid platform that offers portfolio tools to help creatives to show off their work and customize layouts with editable colors, fonts, blocks, etc.
• Weebly (https://www.weebly.com/) is a free website builder with eCommerce service that provides tools for anyone to launch and grow a professional, mobile-optimized, online business that customers love to visit and shop (with Square’s commerce offering). Weebly powers millions of businesses on over 50 million sites, globally.
• Portfoliobox (https://www.portfoliobox.net/) is a free platform with paid options that lets photographers, designers and other creatives build their own online portfolio to showcase their images on a unique and personal website with customizable design and simple user interface.
• Crevado (https://crevado.com/) is a free online tool which makes it easy for creatives (artists, illustrators, photographers, etc.) to create an online portfolio website to showcase and sell their work, plus easily receive payments online.
• Dribbble (http://dribbble.com/) is a community with freebie offerings to help design creatives (web designers, graphic designers, illustrators, icon artists, typographers, logo designers, and other creative types) to grow and get hired, by sharing small screenshots of their work, process, and current projects. Creatives can promote, discover, and explore design, as well as connect with designers around the globe.
• Coroflot (http://www.coroflot.com/) is a hosted creative-projects platform that offers the largest, most active creative job board site, to connect creative design professionals with top firms. Its community welcomes design enthusiasts who seek creative advice, increased artwork exposure, connections, design jobs, or design hires.
• Jimdo (http://www.jimdo.com/) is a free, easy-to-use, 3-minute website builder (Jimdo Dolphin), plus toolkit (Jimdo Creator), that makes it easier for anyone to have fun creating a website and online store, without having to code.
Tip: You can use Adobe Portfolio for free, through May 2020. Adobe Portfolio is available at no cost through 05-31-20. For details, visit Adobe’s web page at
10 InDesign Templates, to Enhance Your Projects
1. Best InDesign Templates
2. Stock InDesign
6. Adobe Stock
8. Creativity Crate (scroll down to “Free Templates”)
10. Designer Daily
• allows you to quickly process InDesign files on a Mac, without Creative Cloud requirements and costs
• is easy to use
• can help you to preview InDesign files, export them in a variety of file formats, and open them in several layout applications.
IDMarkz Features include:
• Open InDesign files in earlier InDesign versions or in QuarkXPress, Affinity Publisher, Acrobat, Illustrator, …
• Open InDesign files in Acrobat and Annotate the PDF
• Preview InDesign files & export .indd files as IDML, PDF, TIFF, PNG, JPEG, or GIF
You can use automation features to export an IDML and open it in a selected application, today! Buy Markzware’s low-cost IDMarkz Mac Subscription (including IDMarkz updates throughout your 12-month subscription term), available on the IDMarkz page.
Additional Markzware products are available via the Products page. Please feel free to subscribe to the Markzware Mailing List, to get the latest Markzware product news, discounts, and more.
Do you use Adobe InDesign most often for a blog, portfolio, or marketing platform? Have you tried to export InDesign text to HTML? Please join Markzware in posting on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, and other websites.
InDesign Blog/Portfolio/Email? Export INDD Story Text to HTML on macOS